Passage: 1 Corinthians 12
Galatians 5 v 6 For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.
Matthew 28:19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”
Ephesians 2:10 For we are God’s workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.
Philippians 2:13 for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose.
The Power of Spiritual Gifts
- Spiritual Gifts are vital for the health and wellbeing of Christians and the church.
- Spiritual Gifts are for all Christians.
- Spiritual Gifts are given to us for the benefit of others
What is a Spiritual Gift?
A Spiritual Gift is a special ability given to each believer by the Holy Spirit, who equips and motivates members of the church to serve in special ways for Christ and His Kingdom.
Ways of showing God’s GRACE and glorifying Him
- Every Believer has at least one Spiritual Gift… (v7)
- Every believer is gifted
- Every believer is a minister
- Every believer receives their gifts through the Holy Spirit at conversion
Each Gift has the same purpose…
- The purpose is to build up (edify) the body
- The gifts are for service
- The gifts mean responsibility
Gifts are given by a Sovereign God
- This rules out Inferiority (v15-18),
- Superiority (v21-24),
- Division (v25)
Read these passages and note the gifts mentioned: Romans 12:6-8, 1 Corinthians 12:8-10&28, Ephesians 4:11, 1 Peter 4:9-10
Prophesy, serving, teaching, encouraging, giving, leadership, mercy, wisdom, knowledge, faith, healing, miracles, administration, discernment of spirits, tongues, interpretation, Apostles, Prophets, Teachers, Pastors, helping others, hospitality?
Knowing my gifts will:
- Help me in find God’s will for my life
- Help me overcome feelings of inadequacy or inferiority
- Result in me ministering effectively
- Help me find my place in the church
- Help me to understand that I can be a blessing to others
- Help me gain freedom in areas where I am not gifted
Therefore we should aim to:
- Find our gifts
- Grow our gifts
- Use our gifts
If we discover our gifts, we will know your spiritual job description and the body will mature and grow and God will be glorified.
When a church embraces Gifts it will:
- Mobilise its membership
- Develop good leadership
- Encourage mature interdependence
- Reach out more effectively
When a church ignores Gifts, it will have:
- An uninvolved membership
- An overworked minority
- An unsatisfying communal life
- An over dependence on programmes
- Not many people coming to know the Lord
To sinful patterns of behaviour that never get confronted and changed.
Abilities and gifts that never get cultivated and deployed –
Until weeks become months
And months turn into years,
And one day you’re your looking back on a life of
Deep intimate gut-wrenchingly honest conversations you never had;
Great bold prayer you never prayed,
Exhilarating risks you never took,
Sacrificial gifts you never offered
Lives you never touched,
And you’re sitting in a recliner with a shrivelled soul,
And forgotten dreams,
And you realise there was a world of desperate need,
And a great God calling you to be part of something bigger than yourself
You see the person you could have become but did not;
You never followed your calling.
You never got out of the boat.
(John Ortberg in “If you want to walk on the water you have to get out of the boat”)
You will be most effective and fulfilled in ministry when you use your spiritual gifts and abilities in the area of your heart’s desire in a way that best expresses your personality and experience. (Rick Warren)
Read 1 Corinthians 12:31
In all that we do love is the key.
What have I found interesting?
What has challenged my life, attitudes and actions?
How would this habit help me to become more like Jesus?
How would this habit help me to introduce others to Jesus?
What practical steps do I need to take to incorporate this habit into my life?
Is there there anything I need to pray about, explore further or extra help I need?
Is there someone I should to share with, pray with or encourage