Jesus clears the temple.
As we read this passage, we see a different side to Jesus.
- Why do you think he reacted in this way to the fig tree and in the temple?
Jesus’ actions are a reminder to us to bear fruit and worship in a God honouring way.
- Imagine Jesus walking into our church – what might he overturn?
- Imagine Jesus walking into our lives – what might he overturn?
- Consider the power and force of Jesus’ call to prayer in this section – how are you challenged and encouraged?
Engage and Extend
Last week as we considered the power and Easter Sunday and were invited to place before the cross those things that where stopping us from grabbing and experiencing that new life that Jesus offers us through his life, death and resurrection. It was a powerful moment of us as a church.
It genuinely felt like a new start of many of us. Let me ask, how was the last week for you?
In this passage we find important practices for us to help us live that “New life“.
Here we see the importance of bearing fruit.
- Why do you think Jesus cursed the fig tree?
- How does this challenge us as individuals and as a church?
Bearing fruit is vital to us experiencing new life in Jesus, because that like the fig tree is our purpose.
Here we see the importance of ruthlessly clearing out and prayer.
Jesus ruthlessly cleared out the things in the temple which were corrupting the worship of God, people taking advantage of worshippers and importantly stopping the gentiles coming in worship to God.
As we think about the powerful acts of Jesus how does this challenge us about how we do church, our practices and traditions:
- Are they man made?
- Are they stopping those who don’t know Jesus coming to him?
- If Jesus came into our church what would he overturn?
We are temple of the Holy Spirit, now ask the same questions of your own life,?
Ruthlessly clearing out sin is vital to us experiencing new life in Jesus.
Jesus desperately wanted the temple to be a house of Prayer, as God planned.
- How can we make our church a house of prayer?
- How can we make ourselves houses of prayer?
Prayer is vital to us experiencing new life in Jesus.
Here we see the importance of forgiving and prayer.
Stephen asked us to think about the mountains in our lives which we need to remove and Jesus pointed to one of the biggest forgiveness.
Powerful believing prayer is vital to us experiencing new life in Jesus.
Why do you think Jesus keeps bringing up forgiveness?
As you finish, think through this passage, how can it help you to become more like Jesus and introduce others to him.